In order to provide telephone services to an area that otherwise would not have been served, a group of individuals banded together in 1949 and, with the financial aid of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), formed Cap Rock Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
Construction began in 1951 on six dial offices and approximately 1,300 miles of open-wire line to serve rural customers in Cottle, Crosby, Dickens, Garza, Kent, King, Motley, and Stonewall counties.
In 1959, Cap Rock Telephone had the opportunity to purchase the telephone exchange of Spur from Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. In 1995, the Dickens, Matador, Paducah and Roaring Springs telephone exchanges were purchased from GTE. Cap Rock Telephone purchased the exchanges of Turkey and Quitaque the following year.
Today, Cap Rock Telephone Cooperative owns and operates 16 exchanges in 12 counties. Cap Rock Telephone’s infrastructure includes a little over 500 miles of fiber optic cable and more than 2,800 miles of buried cable to provide service to subscribers. Cap Rock Telephone serves exchanges located in Afton, Dickens, Dry Lake, Flomot, Girard, Hackmont, Jayton, Matador, Paducah, Peacock, Quitaque, Roaring Springs, Spur, Turkey, Verbena, and White River.
Website is best viewed in a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or higher by Internet Explorer 6.x or higher, Mozilla Firefox® 2.x or higher, with the most recent versions of Adobe Flash Player.
Cap Rock Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
121 East Third Street
P.O. Box 300
Spur Texas 79370
Phone number: 806-271-3336